Questions about writing:
How does an aspiring author decide what to write about first?
- Several methods
- Most important: what are people asking you?
- Answer questions you’re already getting from people. They’re already hungry for your information!
What are the 4 crucial questions I should ask myself for any topic I’m thinking of writing about?
- What topic do you have the most passion for?
- What have you done the most research on?
- What do you have the most personal experience with?
- Which one is most likely to get completed?
What are your top tricks to stay focused and limit distractions?
- Sign on the door
- #1: turn off spell check
- Many more: take breaks, rewards, retreat, treat like a “job”
Is it better to set aside time each day or large chunks of time to write?
- Depends on personality
- ADD/hard to focus – time each day (15 minutes)
- Need away from all distractions (retreat) – large chunks
Questions about publishing:
What are the 4 primary publishing options?
What are the pros and cons of traditional publishing?
- Pros: advance, ego boost
- Cons: give away rights, timeline
What are the pros and cons of vanity publishing?
- Pros: fast, inexpensive
- Cons: poor quality, often done “wrong”, minimize marketing potential/results
What is “indie” publishing?
- Creating a publishing arm to your existing business – or creating a new publishing company under your own name
- Pros: fast, high quality, maximize marketing & distribution options, 100% total control, 100% profits, no “middle man”
- Cons: investment, responsibility
What about eBooks? When should I decide to skip the other publishing options and publish directly to Kindle?
- Consider lower investment
- Pros: cheaper, super fast
- Cons: lower credibility factor, can destroy your reputation as an expert (formatting/bad reviews)
What key steps do I need to take to be published?
- Finish writing
- Cover design
- Interior layout (not for straight-to-Kindle)
- Market, market, market
Questions about book marketing:
What are the top online marketing tactics to market my book?
- Social media (FB, Twitter, LI, YouTube)
- Virtual book tour
What are the top offline marketing tactics I should use?
- Printed materials: bookmarks, business cards, post cards
When exactly should I start marketing?
- Before you finish writing – now!
What is an author platform?
- The foundation of all your marketability – total of everything you do to market your book – placed in a strategic manner
What is a virtual book tour?
- Scheduled “appearances” through interviews, guest blog posts, webinars, teleseminars, etc.